August 17, 2017
Philadelphia Motorcycle Accident Attorney Gabriel Levin Offers Motorcycle Safety Tips
Millions of Americans love motorcycles and the fun and freedom they bring. Of course, motorcycles also come with some safety concerns, too. Helmets are not mandatory for most riders over twenty-one years of age in Pennsylvania, but there are plenty of common sense tips that can help keep you safe on your journeys.
Some Sobering Reminders:
Unfortunately, accidents happen. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2014, 4,586 motorcyclists died in crashes in the U.S. Forty-three percent of those died in single-vehicle crashed that year were alcohol-impaired.
On a more positive note, rider usage rates of Department of Transportation-compliant helmets continue to rise. In 2014, 60% of riders wore such helmets while in 2015, 64% did so.
Here are Some More Simple Suggestions That Could Greatly Reduce Your Chances of Serious Injury or Even Death:
Thankfully, there are many ways to make your riding as safe as possible. The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (DOTY) website offers free brochures and safety classes, as well as some great safety tips like these:
- Flash your brake light when you begin to slow down to a stop to get the attention of other drivers.
- Be seen: wear bright colored clothing
- Wear over the ankle foot protection, long pants, long-sleeved shirt, and full-fingered gloves.
- Use lane positioning to be seen; ride in the part of a lane where you are most visible.
- Avoid weaving between lanes.
- Don’t ride when you are tired or under the influence of alcohol or other drugs.
- Don’t let your friend drive impaired–intervene.
- If you are a newer rider, work out your driving techniques in light traffic before going into heavy traffic.
- Learn how to deal with different conditions, such as wet or icy roads, or even high winds.
- In the spring, be extra aware of cautious of loose gravel build-up from road maintenance. You can report those conditions at 1-800-FIXROAD.
If you want to fully enjoy your motorcycle, why not take all of the reasonable precautions you can?
Talk to an Experienced Philadelphia Motorcycle Attorney Now.
If you have been involved in a motorcycle accident, contact a Philadelphia attorney who understands motorcycle safety and motorcycle accidents. Contact Gabriel Levin, Esq., today, at The Levin Firm. Call us at (215) 825-5183 so we can learn about your accident, and find out how we can help you.