Do I Need a Philadelphia Personal Injury Lawyer?
After an accidental injury, many people debate whether to call an attorney or to try to handle an insurance claim themselves. You may not realize how challenging the insurance process can be, and not having representation may result in a settlement that is far less than you deserve. Once you accept a settlement, you waive your right to seek more compensation from the at-fault party, so you will then be responsible for your remaining medical expenses and bills.
On the other hand, if you contact the right Philadelphia personal injury lawyer, they can help with your claim in many different ways, such as:
While there is no requirement to hire a personal injury attorney, it can be highly beneficial to do so.
- Evaluating who is liable for your injuries - While you may know that another driver hit your car, you may not realize that because the driver was on the job, you can also hold their employer liable. Many injured accident victims file claims with multiple insurance companies, and each insurer will require you to prove legal liability.
- Calculating what your claim is worth - Calculating damages involves more than adding up medical bills. You should factor in lost income, future losses, pain and suffering, and more. Many people grossly underestimate the amount of compensation they deserve, and end up with a low settlement and out-of-pocket costs in the future.
- Dealing with the insurance company - Insurance adjusters can be difficult throughout the claims process. They may challenge your claim in many ways, request unnecessary documents, and delay your claim, all to put a low settlement offer on the table in the end. You should be focusing on your medical treatment, and do not need the stress of dealing with adjusters. Our lawyers handle every step of the process for you, including filing a personal injury lawsuit when needed.
Is It Worth It to Hire a Philadelphia Personal Injury Lawyer?
There are different reasons why injured accident victims may not seek help from an experienced personal injury lawyer, including concerns about the cost. The good news is that many people end up with significantly more in their pockets when they have the right legal representation.
Unlike many other types of lawyers, most personal injury lawyers do not bill you for litigation costs or hourly fees during your case. Your case evaluation is free, and we only get paid if we successfully get a settlement for you. Our fees come directly from your settlement, which means you never have to pay anything out of pocket during your case.
Having the right attorney can often result in a significantly higher settlement payment. Consider the following:
This is one example of how it can be entirely worth it discuss your claim with a personal injury attorney. Keep in mind that insurance companies will do anything possible to lower your settlement, especially if you are unrepresented. Having a skilled lawyer shows the insurer that you mean business, and that you will not hesitate to file a personal injury lawsuit if needed.
- Scenario A: You handle your claim on your own, seeking $15,000 to cover your medical expenses and lost income. You receive the $11,000 from the insurance company, since they questioned some of your damages and you did not know how to prove otherwise. You use the full $11,000 to pay as many expenses as you can.
- Scenario B: You consult with The Levin Firm and we determine that your claim should be worth $30,000 due to the need for future medical care, future missed work, and the physical suffering you experienced. We prove the full amount of your damages and obtain the $30,000 settlement for you. $9,000 goes to cover attorney’s fees and costs, leaving you with $21,000, which is $10,000 more than Scenario A.
Questions to Ask a Personal Injury Lawyer
When you schedule your free consultation with a personal injury attorney, you should come prepared with specific questions for them to address. You want to make sure you are choosing the right attorney, and that you understand the legal process ahead. The following are some examples of questions to ask:
Do I have a valid claim? The lawyer should review what happened and advise whether someone else should be liable for your injuries.
Feel free to ask any additional questions you may have, as you want to make sure you are confident in your decision to hire a specific attorney.
- How much is my claim worth? As mentioned above, personal injury attorneys will work to calculate the full amount of damages possible in your case.
- How many personal injury cases have you handled? Experience matters when it comes to injury-related claims.
- Have you handled cases like mine? Some personal injury lawyers do not regularly handle cases involving severe injuries or complicated accidents, so you want to know whether they have experience with your specific type of case.
- Do you ever take cases to court? It is not always possible to resolve every personal injury case directly with the insurance company. You want to hire an experienced litigator in case it is necessary to file a lawsuit. You want to avoid “settlement mills” that push every client to accept quick settlements, even if they are too low.
- How much will it cost? Even with a contingency fee arrangement as described above, you should make sure that you fully understand what percentage of your settlement will go to your attorney.
- What is the claim process? While the process will vary in each individual case, a lawyer should give you an idea of what to expect and how long it may take.
- Will you personally handle my case? You want to understand whether the attorney will handle all aspects of your claim or whether an associate or paralegal will be working your case.
- What will you expect of me during the case? Learn about how involved the lawyer expects you to be during the claim process. Some people want to stay more involved than others.
Call a Philadelphia Personal Injury Attorney for Help
Accidents can happen to anyone in many different ways, and the type of incident that occurred will help dictate the major legal questions of your case. For example, if your injury occurred at work, your claim will differ substantially from a claim that arises from a car accident or injuries caused by medical malpractice. As skilled personal injury attorneys, our practice areas are varied so that we can assist clients who are injured in many different ways. No matter what type of accident occurred, we can identify and address any issues or questions in your case.
Accident victims can also suffer a wide array of injuries. Some injuries can be complicated and difficult to understand, even though they have a significant effect on your life. Some complex and severe injuries that are often involved in our cases include the following:
Spinal cord injuries - Because the spine is integral for movement, sensory abilities, and organ functioning of most of the body, any injury can cause serious disruption. Spinal cord injuries can cause temporary or permanent paralysis in many victims.
Traumatic brain injury (TBI) - Any amount of damage to the delicate tissue of the brain can be serious and even mild concussions require medical attention. Severe TBIs can cause permanent disabilities involving physical, cognitive, or emotional functioning.
Neck and back injuries - While neck or back injuries may not seem so serious at first, these injuries can cause chronic pain that can plague you for years. Victims often require ongoing treatment and may aggravate the injury easily.
No matter how serious your injuries may be, the costs of medical treatment can be overwhelming. Even visiting the emergency room can result in hefty bills and the party responsible for your accident should be held fully liable for those costs.
Personal injury victims often incur medical costs for the following and more:
• Emergency transportation
• Emergency trauma care
• Doctor’s visits
• Specialist visits
• Rehabilitative therapy
• Medical equipment and medications
For individuals who suffered injuries with long-lasting or permanent effects, they may require ongoing medical treatment for years after their personal injury case or perhaps for the rest of their lives. You deserve to be compensated for all of your losses - both past and future. At The Levin Firm, your personal injury attorney will understand how to estimate all of the losses you may incur in the future to ensure that you receive the full amount you deserve. If you have been injured in any type of accident, please call a Philadelphia personal injury attorney at our firm today to discuss a possible case at no cost.