Lawyer for Slip And Fall at Wegmans
We should never expect slip and fall accidents at Wegmans—not if store personnel does its job.
If they fail in their duties, one minute you are grocery shopping, the next, you are lying on the floor in pain. Falling in a food store isn’t just painful and humiliating. It’s a reason to seek compensation.
If the reason for your fall was the store’s negligent actions, you can recover damages to pay for medical bills and restore your quality of life. With an experienced slip and fall attorney from The Levin Firm, you can improve your chances of obtaining compensation for the losses you suffered.
Don’t wait until you’ve fully recovered to file a claim. The faster you commence legal action, the easier it will be to build a strong case.
Why Choose Us
Choosing the right slip and fall attorney is integral to your case’s success. Wegmans has a large team of lawyers who work hard to dismiss injury claims. So does their insurance company. That’s why choosing an experienced attorney is imperative.
The Levin Firm has slip and fall attorneys who have handled many cases with Wegmans and other food stores. We know how to proceed with these claims to maximize your compensation.
What makes The Levin Firm different from other local law firms is our empathetic approach to all clients. We understand how difficult it can be to get your life back on track after a serious injury.
Dealing with insurance companies, navigating tons of documents, and figuring out how to build a case isn’t something a victim can be expected to handle. That’s why our lawyers take the burden of complex legal tasks and translate “legalese” to “plain English” to help you make the right decisions.
By choosing The Levin Firm, you are simplifying the fight for the compensation you deserve.
Our slip and fall attorneys can:
- Collect evidence. Evidence in a slip and fall case is vital to proving negligence, backing the claim value, and helping determine non-economic damages.
- Determine liable party. Liability in a slip and fall accident may not be straightforward. Our attorneys determine which person, entity, or organization to file a claim against.
- Filing claim paperwork. Slip and fall cases require significant paperwork. Our attorneys prepare and file everything accurately and on time.
- Speaking to witnesses. Eyewitnesses and expert witnesses can make or break your case. Our attorneys collect their testimony and use it to maximize compensation.
- Negotiating with the insurance company. Our slip and fall lawyers know exactly how to negotiate with insurance companies and prevent any pressure to accept an unfair settlement offer.
- Going to court. In some cases, to recover fair damages, you may need to go to court. Our experienced slip and fall attorneys can prepare your case for court and ensure all filings are prompt and accurate.
All our offices are conveniently located for easy access by car or public transport. If you are still injured and can’t come to us, our legal team is happy to arrange a virtual consultation at any convenient time. Contact us for your free case review today.
How Much Is My Case Worth?
Settlements and payouts for slip and fall cases can vary from a few thousand to several million dollars. Your case’s worth depends on many factors, including:
The key goal of personal injury compensation is to cover expenses you incur due to the injuries and while you recover. Accordingly, the amount to cover treatment and recovery is higher if your injuries are more severe.
The extent of your injuries can also dictate the amount you can claim for pain and suffering after a slip and fall. It can even affect the judge’s decision to award punitive damages designed to punish the wrongdoer for their gross negligence or recklessness.
Evidence plays a key role in your slip and fall case. No matter how much you want to recover, you must back every dollar with evidence. That’s why it’s important to gather this evidence as soon as possible.
Common evidence includes:
- Medical bills
- Doctors’ reports
- W-2 forms
- Financial statements
- Photos and videos of your injuries and the accident scene
- Personal journals
- Camera footage
Not all evidence can contribute to the success of your case. That’s why it’s important to consult an attorney to ensure you only present relevant evidence to the judge or the insurance company.
In most cases, if you can prove negligence, Wegmans’ liability insurance should cover your damages. However, their insurance has limits. If your claim exceeds this limit, you may have to go to court to sue the company directly.
Wegmans is one of the largest private businesses in the United States. Their insurance company faces numerous claims every year. They know exactly how to pressure victims into accepting low settlements or denying their claims entirely.
Your attorney’s expertise and experience are integral to the success of your case. Without them, the insurer may not take your claim as seriously, leaving you without critical compensation.
Slip and Fall Injuries in Wegmans
Wegmans has been in the market for over 100 years. It’s a large regional supermarket chain with headquarters in New York and over 90 stores across many states. A slip and fall accident in one of their stores isn’t a rarity.
Slip and falls are the primary reason for missed days at work in the country. Meanwhile, falls account for 8 million emergency room visits every year.
While Wegmans workers and store owners are usually responsible and hard-working, they can make negligent mistakes.
The key reasons for slip and fall injuries in a supermarket include:
- Recently mopped floors without a warning sign
- Poor lighting
- Loose rugs
- Ice buildup near the entrance (during the cold season)
- Product displays in narrow isles that cause collisions and falls
- Food spilled on the floor
- Uneven flooring
- Broken shelves
While these hazards often appear unexpectedly, it’s the property owner’s responsibility to prevent them. If they occur, employees must react quickly to eliminate the source of danger or put up a relevant warning sign.
Failure to keep the premises safe for customers directly demonstrates negligence. If you can prove that employees or a storeowner acted negligently, you can seek compensation for your resulting injuries.
Statute of Limitations
One of the reasons why you shouldn’t delay legal action is the statute of limitations. This law regulates the time you have to file a slip and fall lawsuit against Wegmans after your injury.
A judge may dismiss the case if you don’t file within the allotted time. Statutes of limitation differ from state to state, so it is important to consult with an attorney to ensure you file within the timeframe. New Jersey and Pennsylvania have a two-year statute of limitations, which doesn’t give you much time to prepare a case and file following your accident.
If you cannot pursue legal action through civil court, there is a strong likelihood that the insurer will not agree to settle your claim. Without the consequence of a lawsuit looming, the insurer does not have the incentive to settle, and you will likely not be able to recover compensation.
Some exceptions to these statutes exist, though rarely. Most notable is the exception for minors. While parents can bring a slip and fall action on behalf of their minor child, the child can also wait until they turn 18 and pursue the action themselves. In that case, the statute of limitations will not begin to run until the child’s 18th birthday.
Besides losing your compensation, delaying legal action significantly impacts the strength of your slip and fall case.
When months or years pass, evidence disappears, witness memories lose clarity, stores erase camera footage, and Wegmans’ lawyers get valuable time to counter your arguments or find a way to prove the absence of negligence.
Even if you don’t feel well enough to file a claim, an attorney can do all the heavy lifting. All you have to do is reach out and provide case details. While you are tending to your injuries, an experienced legal team can start building a stellar case against Wegmans.
Types of Slip and Fall Accidents
In Wegmans, you can sustain slip and fall injuries in different situations. It’s important to be careful when navigating the isles.
However, if employees and storeowners are negligent, avoiding an injury becomes much more challenging.
- Spilled products. Employees must clean up the mess as soon as possible when a customer spills a product and put up a wet floor sign. You can argue negligence if you can prove that they didn’t react promptly.
- Mopped floors. Employees must put up a “wet floor” sign when they mop a floor during open hours. The absence of a sign often proves negligence.
- Broken shelves or poorly placed products. If the store fails to secure shelves and products on them, things could fall into the aisles, causing a slip and fall accident.
- Iced entrance. During the cold season, the property owner must clean up ice and water. You can argue negligence if they don’t remedy the hazard and you slip at the entrance or the parking lot.
In Wegmans, cameras usually record everything in the store isles. That’s why getting the footage is key to proving your case. That’s one of the reasons why you want to begin legal action as soon as possible. Stores usually erase the footage within 90 days, and some delete it in as little as 30 days.
Types of Slip and Fall Injuries
You can sustain various serious injuries when you fall in a grocery store. Everything depends on how you fall and the objects around you.
People usually sustain such injuries as:
- Fractures. It’s easy to break a leg or an arm when falling on the floor, especially if you are 60 or over.
- Brain and spine injuries. Falling on your back or hitting your head could result in severe spinal cord injuries and even a TBI (traumatic brain injury)
- Neck injury. The force of impact when you hit the floor or the nearby shelf could cause you to hurt your neck significantly.
- Concussion. You could easily get a concussion if you hit your head on the floor or an object nearby.
- Cuts and lacerations. Debris around the accident site can appear if you hit a shelf and products fall. You could cut yourself on broken glass or other objects.
- Facial injuries. Cutting or otherwise injuring your face is possible as you fall. These injuries can end up being scarring or disfiguring.
If you slip and fall in Wegmans, don’t rush to get up and go home. Your injuries may be more severe than you think. If you have already left the store, get a medical exam as soon as possible. Keep track of all your expenses and medical reports as evidence for your personal injury case.
Speak to an Experienced Lawyer for Slip and Fall Accidents at Wegmans Today
You may recover significant compensation if you slipped and fell in Wegmans. Going up against a supermarket giant without legal assistance is hard, and in most cases, a lack of legal experience leads to unfair settlements.
At The Levin Firm, we’ve handled hundreds of slip and fall accidents. We can fight Wegmans and their insurance company to help you get the money you deserve.
Contact us for your free case evaluation today at (215) 825-5183.