March 17, 2017
How to Maximize a Personal Injury Award or Settlement
Motor vehicle accidents can happen anywhere, and Philadelphia, with its many busy roadways and highways, is no exception. Car wrecks can be very traumatizing experiences, and legal concerns are probably the last thing on your mind following involvement in a serious car crash.
Insurance companies, like most big businesses, are interested in lining their own pockets. Their goal in a car accident case is to settle the case as quickly (and as cheaply) as possible. Our experienced Philadelphia personal injury attorneys can help you by negotiating with the insurance company on your behalf and assisting you with obtaining a favorable settlement offer.
If the insurance company refuses to settle your case fairly, we are not afraid to litigate your case and take it to trial. What follows are some simple steps you can take to maximize the value of your case, including the amount of your settlement, arbitration award, or jury verdict.
Visit a Hospital Emergency Room or Urgent Care Facility Immediately After the Accident
Injured victims of Philadelphia car accidents should immediately seek same-day treatment at a local hospital emergency room or urgent care facility. This is true even when no symptoms are immediately apparent. Same-day treatment is necessary for the following reasons:
- Symptoms oftentimes do not manifest themselves until well after the accident (e.g., days or weeks), and it is better to be safe than sorry.
- Failing to seek same-day emergency medical treatment sends a message to insurance adjusters that the accident victim was not all that seriously injured and/or was not making medical treatment a top priority following the collision.
It is also important that car accident victims be complete and accurate when describing their pain and symptoms (without overstating their cases) – and that they follow through with all of the emergency room physician’s treatment recommendations. This may include doing one or more of the following:
- Following up with a primary care physician or specialist for subsequent treatment
- Beginning a physical therapy regimen at a separate facility
- Seeking follow-up care and treatment at another facility
Seek Medical Treatment for Injuries and Concentrate on Getting Better
Following a same-day hospital emergency room or urgent care visit, it is important to start treatment with a health care provider immediately for injuries sustained in the accident. Large gaps in treatment, long delays in treatment, and missed appointments (or late arrivals) are red flags for insurance adjusters. Rightly or wrongly, gaps in medical treatment or physical therapy send a signal to the insurance company that a car accident victim is not as seriously injured as he or she claims.
Document How Your Injuries Have Affected You
While proving losses like lost income and medical expenses is fairly straightforward, it is often more difficult to establish the non-economic damages accident victims sustain. Consequently, it is important for victims to keep detailed notes about the way in which their injuries have affected them. Make note of pain that you experience, activities that you forgo because of your injuries, any problems you have sleeping, and feelings of 1 or anxiety that you have.
Seek Legal Representation
An experienced Philadelphia personal injury lawyer will be able to do the following:
- Recommend further treatment options
- Obtain all medical records and bills from hospitals, treating physicians, and physical therapy facilities
- Obtain information from insurance companies about their available policy limits
- Submit a settlement demand to the insurance company
- Negotiate with insurance adjusters to obtain a fair settlement of the case
- File a lawsuit and litigate the case in the court system, if necessary
- Take the case to trial or explore alternative dispute resolution options
It is important to keep in mind that establishing the value of a car accident case is a complicated matter and often requires determining how your injuries will affect in the months and years that follow. The assistance of an attorney will ensure that all of your injuries are adequately compensated and that you receive the settlement or award that you deserve.
Contact a Philadelphia Personal Injury Attorney Today to Discuss Your Case
An experienced Philadelphia personal injury lawyer will have the necessary legal knowledge and expertise to negotiate with insurance adjusters on your behalf and help you to obtain a fair resolution to your case.
To schedule a free consultation with one of the experienced Philadelphia personal injury attorneys at The Levin Firm, call us today at 215-825-518 or online.