Philadelphia Car Accident StatisticsBy Gabriel Levin on April 6th, 2017
Recent statistics show that over the past few years, Philadelphia car accidents – as well as car accidents statewide – have been on the rise. These high crash statistics in and around Philadelphia are due-in-part to the large population and large number of multi-lane, high-speed roadways and highways in the area.
Regardless of the reasons for these incidents, tens of thousands of people are being injured in car accidents that may have occurred through no fault of their own. When this occurs, victims are often able to recover compensation for their losses under Pennsylvania law. For this reason, if you have been hurt in an accident, you should be sure to have your case reviewed by a lawyer as soon as possible.
Summary of Recent Statistics
The most recent DOT report for 2015 was released in late-2016. According to that report, the total number of car crashes in Pennsylvania totaled 127,127. This number includes 59,290 personal injury crashes and 1,102 fatal injury crashes. The report also noted the following statistics:
- Minor injury crashes totaled 40,364; moderate injury crashes totaled 12,503; and severe injury crashes totaled 3,030.
- Philadelphia County accounted for a total of 8,341 personal injury crashes – the highest number in Pennsylvania.
- Philadelphia County accounted for a total of 85 fatal injury crashes – the highest number in Pennsylvania.
- Most crashes occurred in January, and the highest number of fatal crashes occurred in August.
- Most crashes occurred on Fridays, and the highest number of fatal crashes occurred on Sundays.
The highest number of total crashes were reported over the Thanksgiving, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, and Labor Day Holidays, with the Christmas Holiday following shortly behind.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
While car accidents originate from a variety of sources, some of the most statistically common causes of car crashes in Philadelphia and the surrounding area include the following:
- Disobeying or disregarding traffic laws, signs, signals, and traffic control devices
- Failing to appreciate and account for hazardous road conditions
- Reckless, careless, and negligent driving
- Driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs
Investigating a Car Accident Claim
In some cases, it may be necessary to conduct a thorough investigation about the way in which an accident occurred in order to recover compensation. In these instances, the representation of an attorney can be invaluable. A lawyer will evaluate your case, determine what types of evidence may exist, and use a legal process known as “discovery” to obtain it. Some of the ways a lawyer can help get evidence that indicates negligence on the part of another person includes the following:
- Compelling the production of evidence, such as vehicle maintenance records, surveillance footage, cell phone records, medical records, or toxicology reports
- Conducting ,2 which elicit testimony from other parties that is given under oath
- Issuing interrogatories, which are written questions that a party must answer under oath
Victims should keep in mind that an attorney will make the process of preparing your case much easier than it would be if they chose to do it on their own. The last thing you should do while you are in the process of recovering from your injuries is spend time making phone calls, filling out forms, and negotiating with insurance company adjusters who are trying to pay you as little as possible for your injuries. When you retain a lawyer, all of these issues will be handled for you, allowing to focus on getting better and putting your accident behind you.
Contact a Philadelphia Car Accident Attorney Today to Discuss Your Case
If you have been injured in a car accident as a result of someone else’s negligence, our experienced Philadelphia car accident attorneys are ready to assist you with your case.
Remember that insurance companies are not on your side and want to pay out as little money as possible in satisfaction of your claim. Our experienced Philadelphia car accident lawyers have what it takes to hold the insurance companies accountable and negotiate a fair settlement of your car accident case. If a fair settlement cannot be reached, our experienced attorneys welcome the challenge of litigating your case or taking it directly to trial.
To schedule a free case evaluation with one of our Philadelphia car accident lawyers, call ur office today at 215-825-5183 or online.