The time following a motorcycle accident can cause extreme stress. You likely missed work because of your injuries and may worry about how you will pay your medical bills and other associated expenses. You may know that you can pursue compensation for your injuries if someone else caused the accident, but you may wonder how a motorcycle accident lawyer can help you do that.
If a negligent driver or some other preventable factor caused the accident, such as a defective component on your motorcycle that failed, for instance, you can hold the responsible parties accountable and get the compensation you need. The complex process requires in-depth knowledge of personal injury laws, civil courts and procedures, and how insurance companies operate. You need an attorney on your side to explain your rights and options and advocate for you to increase your chances of getting the maximum amount possible.
These are just a few of the ways an attorney can help you after a motorcycle accident, but a lawyer offers other benefits as well. Read on to learn how a motorcycle accident lawyer can help you, but contact a personal injury attorney as soon as you can after sustaining injuries in a motorcycle accident to begin the process of recovering damages.
Ways a Lawyer Can Help You After a Motorcycle Accident
A personal injury attorney with experience handling motorcycle accident injury claims can provide vital assistance throughout the process of obtaining compensation. A lawyer can help you recover damages through:
Legal Advice and Guidance
A lawyer will have extensive knowledge of your state’s personal injury laws and can inform you of your rights. They can also explain the process of obtaining compensation, answer any questions you have regarding the process, and guide you along the way.
A lawyer will thoroughly investigate the accident and the circumstances surrounding the event. An attorney will gather accident reports, witness statements, photographs, medical records, and other evidence to build a strong case on your behalf.
Filing Insurance Claims
Insurance companies may minimize your claim or deny it altogether. A motorcycle accident lawyer can handle communication with the insurance company on your behalf, protecting your rights and recovering fair compensation for your injuries and damages.
Negotiation and Settlement
A skilled lawyer will negotiate with the insurance company or the at-fault party's legal representatives to pursue a fair settlement. They will use their knowledge of personal injury law and experience in handling similar cases to advocate for you and strive for a favorable outcome.
If the insurance company does not offer a fair settlement or denies your valid claim unjustly, a motorcycle accident lawyer can file a lawsuit against them in civil court and represent you at trial. They can present your case, argue on your behalf, and provide strong legal representation throughout the litigation process.
An attorney can assess your damages, including medical expenses, lost income, pain, suffering, property damage, and future rehabilitation or care needs. They can work with experts, such as medical professionals or accident reconstruction specialists, to accurately evaluate the full extent of your losses.
Legal Deadlines and Paperwork
Personal injury claims, such as motorcycle accident injury claims, often demand you follow strict deadlines and paperwork requirements. A motorcycle accident lawyer can properly file all necessary documents within the specified timeframes, reducing the risk of missed deadlines that could harm your case.
Hiring an attorney and letting them handle the process for you gives you peace of mind. You don’t need the added burden of filing an overwhelming and stressful motorcycle accident claim and fighting with the insurance company to get the money you need. A knowledgeable lawyer can alleviate much of your stress and worry, and you can rest easier knowing that you have an advocate working to protect your rights and best interests.
Consult a motorcycle accident lawyer as soon as possible after an accident to properly handle your case from the beginning. They can assess your unique circumstances and provide personalized legal assistance to obtain the compensation you deserve.
When Should I Contact an Attorney After a Motorcycle Accident?
As mentioned, most states have statutes of limitations that restrict how long you have to file a personal injury claim in court. If you miss the deadline, you forfeit your right to compensation.
You must contact an attorney in your state to learn of any deadlines and work with them to file your claim within the state’s statute of limitations.
For instance, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Florida each have two-year statutes of limitations for most personal injury claims resulting from negligence. Your lawyer must file your suit within that time to recover damages.
Although that may seem like more than enough time, it’s not. Your lawyer will need to gather a lot of evidence to support your claim, and the longer you wait, the more you risk losing valuable evidence.
Another reason to contact an attorney as soon as possible after the accident is that the at-fault party’s insurance company may contact you shortly after the crash to get your version of the events that caused the accident.
Never offer more information than necessary or say anything the insurance company can use against you to deny your claim—and you should never provide the insurer with a recorded statement without first speaking with a lawyer. Never apologize for the accident or say you feel fine if the adjuster asks how you are doing. The insurance company will look for any avenue to deny your claim or reduce the amount they have to pay, and they can use your words against you or twist what you say to benefit their defense.
You should refer all communications from the insurance company to your lawyer and have them field questions and provide any necessary documentation or information the insurer requests. A lawyer is on your side and looking out for your best interests, so retain an attorney right away.
What Compensation Can a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Help Me Recover?
While the availability and amount of compensation can vary, here are some common types of compensation that your motorcycle accident lawyer can pursue:
- Medical expenses: A lawyer can seek compensation for current and future medical expenses related to your injury. This may include hospital bills, surgeries, medication, rehabilitation, therapy, and any necessary medical equipment or accommodations.
- Lost income: If your injury caused you to miss work or has affected your ability to earn a living, a lawyer can pursue compensation for lost income and other work-related benefits. This may include income you have already lost as well as potential future income or diminished earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering: A motorcycle accident injury lawyer can seek compensation for the physical pain, emotional distress, and mental anguish you experienced because of your injury. This subjective compensation can vary based on the severity and impact of your injuries.
- Property damage: If the accident damaged or destroyed your motorcycle, a lawyer can pursue compensation for the repair or replacement costs.
- Rehabilitation and ongoing care: If your injury requires long-term rehabilitation or ongoing medical care, a lawyer can seek compensation for these expenses. This may include physical therapy, assistive devices, home modifications, or nursing care.
- Loss of consortium: If your injury affected your relationship with your spouse or family, a lawyer can pursue compensation for the loss of companionship, support, or guidance that resulted from the injury.
- Punitive damages: In cases involving an at-fault party's particularly reckless or intentional actions, a lawyer may seek punitive damages from the court. These damages punish the defendant and deter similar behavior.
- Legal expenses: In many personal injury cases, lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, so you only pay them if they secure compensation for you. They will typically cover the upfront costs of pursuing your case, such as court fees, expert witness fees, and investigation costs. If successful, they typically deduct their fees and expenses from the compensation you receive.
The availability and amount of compensation can vary based on the severity of your injuries, the extent of liability, and the insurance coverage involved. An experienced motorcycle accident lawyer can explain the compensation you may receive based on the laws and regulations in your jurisdiction.
How Do I Choose the Best Motorcycle Accident Attorney for My Case?
Choosing the best motorcycle accident attorney for your case can significantly affect the outcome of your claim.
Here are some key factors to consider when selecting a motorcycle accident attorney:
- Experience: Look for an attorney with specific experience handling motorcycle accident cases. They should have a track record of successfully representing clients in cases similar to yours.
- Legal knowledge: Motorcycle accidents can involve unique legal and technical aspects. Seek an attorney with a deep understanding of motorcycle laws, regulations, and the dynamics of motorcycle accidents. Their extensive knowledge can strengthen your case.
- Reputation: Research the attorney's reputation and credibility. Read online reviews, testimonials, and check professional ratings and disciplinary records. Consider seeking recommendations from trusted sources such as friends, family, or other attorneys.
- Trial experience: While most personal injury cases settle outside of court, choose an attorney comfortable and experienced with litigation. A lawyer with trial experience can better negotiate with insurance companies and fight more effectively if your case goes to court.
- Resources: Assess the attorney's resources, such as their team of investigators, accident reconstruction experts, medical professionals, and other specialists who can strengthen your case. A well-resourced law firm can better handle complex motorcycle accident claims.
- Communication and responsiveness: A good attorney should respond to your questions and concerns, providing clear communication throughout the process. They should update you on the progress of your case and promptly respond to your inquiries.
- Personalized attention: Ensure that the attorney will give your case the attention it deserves. They should make themselves accessible to discuss your case, understand your unique circumstances, and develop a strategy tailored to your specific needs.
- Fee structure: Discuss the attorney's fee structure during the initial consultation. Although most personal injury attorneys work on a contingency fee basis, you need to understand the percentage they will charge and any other costs you will pay. Get everything in writing before you sign a contract.
- Trust and comfort: Trust your instincts when meeting with an attorney. A good lawyer should listen attentively, show empathy, and genuinely care about your well-being. You must feel comfortable and confident in your attorney-client relationship for effective collaboration.
Most personal injury lawyers offer free consultations, so you can schedule a meeting and discuss all the above-mentioned factors with an attorney before agreeing to work with them. Use the opportunity to ask questions about their experience, their approach, and how they would handle your case. Assess their responsiveness and whether you feel comfortable working with them.
By considering these factors and conducting thorough research, you can find a skilled motorcycle accident attorney who will best represent you and pursue the compensation you deserve.
Contact an Experienced Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Today
An experienced personal injury lawyer can get more favorable results quicker and protect your rights throughout the process. They can handle all the complex paperwork and documentation for you and deal with the insurance companies so you don’t have to. An attorney can reduce your stress and offer you peace of mind that you will get all you deserve.
The motorcycle accident lawyers at The Levin Firm have many years of experience helping injured clients in various jurisdictions across the country, and we have earned top honors and awards for our impeccable professionalism and outstanding client service. Contact us today at for your free consultation from a local attorney you can trust.