What safety tips can motorcyclists follow?
The nearly 850,000 licensed motorcyclists in Pennsylvania cannot control how other motorists drive, and thus cannot avoid all accidents. They can, however, improve their safety on the road by following some simple safety tips:
- Always practice defensive driving and assume that no one can see you on the road.
- Wear a U.S. DOT-approved helmet, face or eye protection, and protective clothing.
- Know your motorcycle and conduct a pre-ride check.
- Be seen. Wear bright-colored or reflective clothing.
- Maintain a safe distance from other vehicles.
- Always signal before changing lanes or merging.
- Obey all rules of the road and never drive under the influence.
- Learn techniques for safe riding in all kinds of weather.
- Watch out for hazardous road surfaces.
- Consider attending free training via PennDOT’s Motorcycle Safety Program.
- If you notice gravel buildup or other road maintenance problems, you can report them to 1-800-FIX-ROAD.