Been in a Crash? Know Your RightsBy Gabriel Levin on April 13th, 2018
Car accidents are dangerous and frightening. If another driver’s negligence has left you injured, it can be devastating. It’s important to remember, however, that no matter how difficult your situation seems, you have rights. Knowing your rights after a car accident can help you better navigate the often-complicated claim process and you should have an experienced car accident attorney who can help.
Car Insurance In PA
Pennsylvania is a state, which means that you can choose the type of car insurance coverage you want to purchase. While a no-fault policy is less expensive, it means that your own insurance company will cover a claim no matter who is at fault, but you can only collect financial damages unless you’ve incurred an extremely serious injury. A more traditional policy, on the other hand, requires you to seek recovery from the at-fault party’s insurance company and allows recovery for pain and suffering. These insurance claims may be complicated, but a skilled car accident attorney can help ensure that you recover fair compensation for your damages.
If a negligent driver has left you injured, consult with an experienced car accident lawyer to discuss your rights today. Your claim is too important to leave to either chance or the insurance company. The dedicated legal team at The Levin Firm in Philadelphia is here to help guide your car accident claim toward the compensation to which you’re entitled.
The Car Insurance Company
You purchased car insurance to cover you in case you were ever in an accident. Now, you’ve been in an accident, and it’s your right to recover compensation for your injuries. It’s important to keep in mind, however, that insurance companies are in the business of making profits, which can mean making lowball offers, cutting corners, dropping claims, and minimizing payouts. Don’t take the path of least resistance by accepting the first settlement offer the insurance company makes. You have the right to be compensated in full for your injuries, so don’t accept anything less. A skilled car accident attorney can help aggressively advocate for your rights negotiating with the insurance company to help ensure a fair settlement.
Protect Your Claim
If another driver’s negligence has left you injured, you should know how to protect your claim. If the insurance company is not forthcoming with a fair settlement, you can take certain steps to help protect your claim. The first step is to collect comprehensive evidence at the scene of the accident (or have a bystander do it for you). Ways to collect evidence include:
- Use your smartphone to take pictures and videos of the accident from every angle. Don’t forget to include a picture that depicts the vehicles in relation to each other and pictures that capture both vehicles’ license plates.
- Gather eyewitness testimonies and contact information.
- Sketch the scene of the accident, including the exact location of the accident, the direction the vehicles were traveling, the damage to the cars and any other property damage.
- Note any circumstances that may have affected the accident, such as adverse weather, bad road conditions, or inadequate signage.
- As soon after the accident, as you can, jot down your recollections about how the accident happened and include as many details as possible. Car accidents are often overwhelming, and the mayhem that ensues can quickly blur your memory. Notes made at the time of the accident can help you remember pertinent details and help your car accident attorney better guide your claim.
What Not to Do
While there are several things you can do to protect your rights, there are also things you should avoid:
- Even though it may seem natural to apologize after an accident, even when it was not your fault, resist the urge. Your apology may be used later as an admission of fault.
- Try not to talk about the accident with people at the scene. Anything you say may adversely impact your claim later.
- You are not obligated to provide the other driver’s insurance company with a statement. Any statement you give has the potential to be misconstrued as an admission of fault on your part. If someone from the other driver’s insurance company contacts you, direct them to your attorney. An experienced car accident attorney can handle the insurance company’s requests for information.
- While you may be obligated to make a statement on the record to your own insurance company, your attorney can help walk you through the process and provide you with the tools necessary to give a truthful and on-point statement.
- Don’t assume that you are not injured just because you feel fine after an accident. Although it’s always in your best interest to obtain medical treatment after a car accident, the mayhem of the accident can leave you feeling dazed and confused enough to simply want to go home instead. But some injuries don’t show up right away and may not be diagnosed until they become more pronounced. Even if you didn’t seek medical treatment right away, don’t let that stop you from doing so later when symptoms show up.
If You’ve Been Injured in a Car Accident, Discuss Your Rights with an Experienced Philadelphia Car Accident Attorney Today
Being injured in a car accident may be extremely upsetting and overwhelming, but you have rights. Having skilled legal counsel will help you protect those rights and navigate through the complicated process of recovering at trial or through settlement. Meeting with a car accident attorney does not necessarily mean that your claim will eventually end up in court; your attorney may be able to negotiate and expedite a rapid settlement with an insurance company instead. Your car accident lawyer will discuss the unique circumstances of your claim with you and will help effectively and efficiently guide your case toward equitable resolution of your claims. The dedicated legal team at in Philadelphia is committed to helping ensure you receive full and fair compensation for your injuries, while you focus on your recovery. Our experienced car accident attorneys are here to help, so please or call us at 215-825-5183 today.